Summer in the French Alps Sketching with Erin Hill May 2018
Sketching Holiday in the French Alps in 2018 with artist Erin Hill has to be the best priced value of all our tours: 8 days all-inclusive cost.
Come learn to sketch or improve your skills with artist Erin Hill in France May 9-16 in 2018 on this unique privately-hosted hidden gem. See Erin’s gorgeous artwork here.
Cannot hold a pen? Can’t draw for peanuts? You’re perfect for this tour. There is no standard – everyone learns to do at their level – absolute beginner to experienced sketcher.
We are all there to have fun!
Download French Alps Booking Form
This holiday follows on from Erin’s Sketching in Tuscany holiday May 1-8.
No experience, skills, talent or standard is required. Everyone has as much fun as the whole group and in Erin’s talented hands you learn to see and sketch with confidence and skill as well as finding new friends and new confidence in yourself. People often say these holidays have changed their lives. Warning: they are very addictive.
Staying in a tiny mountain hamlet with breathtaking views you have the option to stay with our wonderful hosts in either their glamorous chalet or in a local Gite (self contained apartment) nearby. The accommodation price depends on your room choice and budget.
All meals and all wines and aperitifs are included – except for two lunches where you may want to fast a bit or wander off to a local village for lunch on your own….
Below are photos of our luxury Alpine chalet which has 4 bedrooms to choose from with 3 bathrooms (Princess room has ensuite bathroom) and one room is a sweet chalet single room adjoining the twin/ double Balcony Room with its amazing views.
The chalet itself does not have enough rooms for everyone to stay so this tour cost is based on two people sharing at a local GITE (pronounced “zheet”) called Jocelyn which is a self-contained “Alpen apartment”.
These Gites are clean and well appointed but lack the luxury of our Chalet and have one bathroom and one separate toilet between 2 bedrooms.
If you would prefer to have your own bathroom then you have the option to pay more and:
- Pay for your own room in Jocelyn’s Gite and share a bathroom with the other bedroom occupant/s or rent the whole gite for yourself
- Pay a bit extra for a room with own bathroom in Bern’s gite nearby (there are 2 rooms offering this)
- Pay more again and stay in the luxury chalet in a room with its own bathroom
All meals will be with the group at the luxury chalet. (breakfast delivered to your door for those below in gites and not staying in the chalet itself)
Our hosts serve us local cheeses, wines and their own exceptional meals each night around a roaring fire or on the balcony in the warm evening sunsets.
Each day we will meet after breakfast to walk to a scenic spot to sketch the local scenery and people, the houses, chalets, Beaufort cows, grazing sheep, chamois deer, an ancient mill, snow-capped mountains and so much more.
Lunches will be provided as picnics in remote spots or under the fruit tree at the chalet and your afternoon is free to explore, walk, climb, sleep, relax and sketch with your new skills. Several days we will explore the local medieval townships such as La Lechere and Moutiers, with their flowered bridges, quaint architecture and wonderful shops, and then visit the beautiful lake town of Annecy, stopping in a nearby brocante (bric-a-brac) to pick up any number of amazing trinkets brought in from French attics, sheds and chalets.
And there are always the views to distract you wherever you look or walk.
The tour price quoted is based on twin or double share in the Jocelyn Gites which are in the next tiny village, a beautiful 500 m walk away. See photos below of the rooms.
Rooms will be booked on a first paid first served based. So if you have a particular room preference based on price or luxury etc please book early.
If you would like a room in the luxury chalet itself for example you have 3-4 options of rooms available.
To request other rooms instead of Jocelyn’s Gite (eg at the closer Gite called Bern’s see below):
Please see the room maps & pricings here
- Jocelyn has 2 attached Gites each with 2 bedrooms and ONE bathroom with separate toilet in each Gite
No extra to pay if you are electing to have a shared twin room in one of Jocelyn’s Gites – about 500 m walk from our chalet – with a shared bathroom with one other room (2 twin rooms available with balcony, kitchen)
- Single room supplement in Joc’s Gites with shared bathroom & sep toilet with other room: €60 extra for the week’s stayBern’s Gite is closer to the chalet in the same little hamlet. There 4 rooms available. 2 rooms have their own small bathrooms.
- Double bed with your own small bathroom at Bern’s Gite extra per couple per stay: €270 (2 dbl rooms available) or
- Single room supplement in Bern’s Gite with own bathroom as in picture below: €190 extra for stay
- Twin share room sharing a bathroom with one other room is €250 per couple extra
- Single only in a room sharing a bathroom is €160 extra
In the luxurious Chalet….
- Gd Floor Princess double bed room with ensuite in Chalet for a couple €650 between 2 for stay or a single person supplement: €500 extra for stay
- Gd Floor Cow Room with own bathroom in chalet for a couple or twin share €650 for stay between 2 or single supp extra: €500 for stay
- 1st Floor Balcony Room with own bathroom in chalet double or twin for 2 people extra cost per stay: €590 or single supp extra cost for stay: €950 (whole floor to yourself)
- 1st Floor Balcony Room room sharing bathroom with Single room next door single: extra cost per stay: €600 Balcony Room and €400 Single room
PRACTICALITIES: GETTING THERE. PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY BEFORE BOOKING YOUR TRIP!
The chalet is in a tiny “canton”called Naves up a mountain-side. The nearest “town”is La Lechere”. Naves is a 2 hour spectacularly scenic drive from Geneva airport.
Coming from overseas we recommend:
Fly into Paris and the next day take a direct early train (eg: a 9 am departure?) Paris to LYON.
Then take a midday train the 3 hours LYON to MOUTIERS.
A private taxi transfer from Moutiers to the chalet at Naves is 30 euros pp one way and we can organise this for you upon request.
[There are trains from the Lyon train station departing at approx midday, 3pm and 6 pm and they take 3 hours to get to Moutiers.]
Or you can fly in to GENEVA AIRPORT.
There are trains which then depart from Geneva CITY station (called Cornavin) – an 8 minute train ride from Geneva airport – and these trains go to MOUTIERS – (the nearest township where you can get a transfer the final 20 kms to the chalet in Naves.)
This is roughly a 3.5 hour train trip.
NB: There are not that many of these train departures each day so you need to ensure you are not waiting hours after your flight for a train to Moutiers.
If you are arriving into Geneva airport you may want to consider staying overnight near the city train station before training down to Moutiers on May 9. (there are trains that depart Cornavin at 10 am and 11.50 am to Moutiers)
For ease you may prefer to pick up a SMALL HIRE CAR from Geneva airport and drive to Naves (2 hours) and to be able to return to the airport easily at your leisure.
Please keep us informed of your plans as if we have enough people arriving into Geneva at a particular time, we can help organise a group transfer from Geneva airport to Naves.
DEPARTING NAVES: May 16 – the tour ends after breakfast.
We will organise transfers to Moutiers train station for onward travel to either Paris or Geneva. Please coordinate your homeward bound flights to these train departures. Ask if you need help with this.