Travel Sketching in Spain & Morocco with Sketch Artist Erin Hill
Learn to sketch or enhance your sketching & travel journalling skills for 9 days in Southern Spain followed by 12 days in exotic Morocco in a small group adventure.
- Our tours are all fully-escorted and designed for affordability, fun and safety in comfortable, relaxing conditions.
Renowned travel artist Erin Hill from Sydney is your inspiration and mentor for this tour.
Even if you have never put a pen on paper to sketch anything – or if you have been sketching for a long time – you will find this 9 days in Spain and 12 days in Morocco experience magic and inspirational
- You will be amazed at what you can achieve when shown how.
- The bond created within the group becomes very special as everyone learns from and encourages each other in their sketches.
- A skill and a present to take home with you for life.
Erin teaches us how to sketch
- sketch meals, cafes and food
- people and movement
- scenes, vistas, landscapes
- apply colour in vignettes to best effect
- create fun travel journal pages, incorporating different media
TRAVEL SKETCHING IN SPAIN
September 10 in 2018. Our first sector of the tour starts with welcome drinks in our 4 star hotel in central Madrid.
We travel down the next day to the stunning mountain-ringed town of Granada for 3 nights immersing ourselves in Moorish architecture, stunning views and the world renowned Alhambra palaces as well as enjoying the wonderful regional cuisine (think of Jamon (ham), Tortillas, delicious tapas (mini-meals) fantastic regional olives and crunchy pionono dessert in syrup.
From Granada, we move West to the cultural capital of the Andalucian region: Sevilla, where the Seville Oranges originate.
4 nights here to unpack and relax and explore with a visit one day to the breathtaking Mezquite at CORDOBA dating from 784 AD. Its grand hall with 856 columns was built from the remains of earlier Roman and Visigoth buildings.
Nothing prepares you for its majesty.
We visit and sketch in the ALCAZAR, Seville Cathedral and the magnificent Placa Espana and dine on tapas and regional cuisine in hidden courtyards and on gracious boulevards of Seville.
Enjoy the wonderful local cuisine of Southern Spain:
- Gazpacho, the famous cold “soup”
- A vegetable-cream made of tomato, cucumber, paprika, garlic, olive-oil, vinegar and bread
- Pescaito frito, fish turned around in flour and fried in olive-oil
- Huevos a la Flamenca, a fried egg in a sauce of tomato and Chorizo (a spicy typically Spanish sausage)
- Cocido Andaluz, a “hot-pot” made of chick-peas and different vegetables
- Rabo de Toro, a slow-cooked ragout of bull’s tail
- The wines are superb (sherry), Manzanilla and Montilla to name a few
Plenty of time for sketching, chatting, laughing, exploring, making new friends and immersing yourself in this warm, relaxed region of Spain.
From Seville we travel by private coach down to the Strait of Gibraltar and ferry across to Tangier in Morocco to begin our second part of the trip……
TRAVEL SKETCHING IN MOROCCO
September 18 in 2018 we arrive in Tangier in the very North of Morocco spending 2 nights here exploring and learning to travel sketch this Spanish influenced town.
Then we travel down to the utterly beautiful BLUE town of Chefchauoen for 3 nights staying in a beautiful RIAD (traditional Moroccan hotel with central courtyard)
We do not hurry on our tours but mostly spend 3 or more nights immersed in each place giving us time to explore, experience and sketch everything we want to with lots of free time to do it in. You will also have ample time to stroll, shop, haggle, have a hamman sauna, massage and just relax each day.
From Chefchaouen we travel South via the breathtaking Unesco ancient Roman site of Volubilis for a sketch and refreshment on our way down to the famous city of Fes.
We will be staying in Fes’s ancient 9th Century medina (old walled city) which still has a vast living population and where the subjects are endlessly fascinating to sketch (shops selling everything from pigeons to ancient herbs and camel burgers, winding narrow streets, donkey- taxis, dyeing vats, silversmiths, drum makers, leather artisans, bazaars, mosques and much more)
From colourful, vibrant Fes we travel south to our final stop in the Imperial fortified Berber city of Marrakech ringed by the Atlas Mountains.
Spending 3 nights there in our Medina Riad with pool you will visit Yves Saint Laurent’s Majorelle Garden for sketching, the ancient hectic Jmaa El Fna medina or “Square of the Dead”, the souk with all its bazaars selling everything, famous walled gardens, Palaces, the Jewish mellah district, famous tombs and Marrakech’s historic mosques.
All within a short walk of our hotel Riad.
Our tour finishes in Marrakech after breakfast on September 29 in 2018 when you are free to make onward travel plans.
(Please note Marrakesh airport does not have as many International flight destinations as Casablanca so please contact your travel agent for onward travel advice.)